I got up early and started to go our and move my clubs to Ellen's car. The sun was shining in the window and when I opened the door, I realized it was raining. The rain was coming very straight down and steady -- like a sprinkler. I looked out back and the deck was only a little wet. It was raining in the front and not in the back! But the rain cleared quickly and the day was bright and sunny.
Bob got to play his 117th golf course, Cedar Point Golf Course on Naval Air Station Patuxent River. The course was very nice. Mostly flat and not too long, but with some interesting holes. The best part was seeing from the golf course where we kayaked on Sunday. Bob played with a nice gentleman, Mark, who retired from the Navy after 30 years. He was a very similar golfer to Bob and a gentleman and that made for a very pleasant round.
The course is next to one of the runways, so I got a good airshow. F-18, T-38, E-2 Radar plane and a P-3, which was the plane Paul flew in when he was in the Navy. I saw one plane early on, but didn't get a good look at it. It might have been the Joint Tactical Fighter that they have done some work there at Pax River. We also saw some helicopters take off.
Another gentleman joined us around hole 13 or 14 and Don was an 82 year old gentleman and a pretty decent golfer. I laughed to myself because we came down to Maryland for a Mass for Mary Woracek and the last 82 year-old I played with was her husband, Harold. I miss playing golf with him.
Bob called Ellen from the 16th hole and just as Bob was driving his cart (I walked the front nine, rode the back) to the drop area, Ellen pulled in. Ellen, Debbie, and the girls were there and we all went to the Solomon Islands for lunch. Debbie wanted to eat someplace where we could eat outdoors. So, we ate at the Captain's Table in Solomons, Maryland. The food was very good, especially the steamed shrimp that Bob, Debbie and Ellen shared. The girls wouldn't eat it.
After lunch, we went to the Calvert Marine Museum. It was very interesting, we saw lots of history of the maritime history of the area, saw wooded canoes and watercraft being built, and even climbed up and through the Drum Point lighthouse. We also got to see some Skates and Rays. The stingrays were swimming in one pool and the skates were being hatched from their egg cases, better known as "mermaid purses. You could actually see a newborn skate and one in the purse wiggling around.
The temperature that day reached the 90's.... So, it was probably good that we didn't go to Washington on Tuesday. We returned to Ellen's and Bob and Deb each got some nap time. That evening we went to dinner at Cheeseburgers in Paradise. If you dare, ask Debbie about her margarita. Anna made chocolate chip cookies for work and some of got to test them. yum...
When Bob talked about the gentlemen he played with, it stirred a good memory for Paul and Ellen about Bob's Dad when he use to visit and play golf on base and would come home and talk about the people he played with.
No comments:
Post a Comment